Tuesday 7 September 2010

Papillote of Salmon in Green Coconut Masala



Green coconut masala is my all time favorite Indian taste.
I simply love love love its texture and flavor.
It lends itself to just about anything you make, from fish,
chicken and veggies, to peas, pulses, samosas and patties!
By adjusting the herbs and spices, you can change the taste
and play around with many variations.
I need to have Green coconut masala in some way or another
at least once a week :-)
Hope you make and enjoy this recipe.


Salmon in Green Coconut Masala

Green paste:

3 packed cups of fresh coriander
1 packed cup of fresh mint
1/4 cup unsweetened dessicated coconut
1/4 cup coconut milk
1" piece of ginger
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cardamon
1 tsp garam masala
lemon juice - 1/2 lemon
sea salt / pink himalayan salt to taste

Throw all the above ingredients in a food processor and process till you get this
a well homogenized thick Green Paste, looking something like this:





Papillotes of Salmon with Zucchini

Spread out a large sheet of silver foil.
Place the Salmon in the center and cover it on the top and sides
with a thick layer of the Green Paste.
Add some more Green Paste around the Salmon.
Add finely sliced Zucchini rounds, a slice of lemon, a sprig of mint
Sprinkle some salt over it and a drizzle of coconut oil.



Then bring together the silver foil and seal it to make a packet.
Like this:




Place this packet (papillote) on a baking tray and bake in a preheated oven at 180 C
350 F for 15 minutes.

When it's done, let it rest for 5 minutes, then open and Oh la la la, it smells divine ;-)





You can also cook the Salmon in a pan.
Heat the pan, grease with a tablespoon of Coconut oil, the add the Salmon pieces
and pour the Green paste over on the top and sides.
Cover and cook on low heat for 10 minutes. Turn the Salmon and cook for another
10 minutes stirring the sauce, be careful it doesn't stick, add a little water
to make a thinner sauce to pour over the brown rice.
Sprinkle sea salt and pepper, as well as some more lemon juice, and enjoy......
I served the pan cooked Salmon with brown rice, broccoli and green beans.


Keep it Simple. Be Creative.
Taste and Play. Find your Own Way.



5 comments:

Kay said...

Hi Neeta,

I'm so thrilled to have found your blog recently! I try to eat clean, gluten free food everyday (though this is being marred with the busyness that came me going back to work in corporate filed after 5 long yrs!) I'm sure I'll get back to my clean and healthy eats soon.

so good to have found my way to your blog.. Can you post more about your gluten free rotis please? Though I'm a south Indian who love my rice, I also love rotis! Ever since going gluten free, I find it is tough to make rotis out of gluten free flours. I miss the chewy texture that rotis have and would love to be able to eat them again albeit gluten free.

I just found a gluten free paratha in your other blog - clean recipes and I'm so going to give it a try.

Neeta said...

Kay, how lovely to read your comment.....I have been following your blog with the food journal and somehow never commented, I'm thrilled to see you here!!! :-))))
I make gluten free rotis very often, just last night we had jowar and rajgiri rotis (sorghum and amaranth flours) and they came out soft and lovely - I'll post some recipes soon.
Great to connect with you, look forward to more sharing xox

Kay said...

Oh, Thanks Neeta! I got inspired by your rotis and I made a multi grain GF roti - added 3 tbsp flaxmeal to bind them. Thanks for the inspiration!!

so much looking forward to read more of your posts!! :)

Neeta said...

Thanks Kay, glad you enjoyed the GF roti, once you get the hang of it, there are so many variations - I use flax seed powder too sometimes, there is also xanthum gum which binds, as well as arrowroot powder.....
Just made jowar and rajgiri rotis for lunch, no binder needed - perfect :-)

Unknown said...

Neeta,
Absolutely loved how this dish tasted :) This will be my new fav. Thank you so much :)

- Jayanthi

South Indian Thali Feast

  TOTNES THALI CLUB PRESENTS A SOUTH INDIAN THALI FEAST MENU Minty Lychee Sparkler STARTERS : VADAI (spi...