Sunday 21 February 2010

Prawns Hariyali


 

It has been a fish-y weekend once again,
Trevor asks for nothing else these days!
So yesterday it was Kerala fish curry,
for lunch today Prawns hariyali,
served with delicious raita and rotis,
tonight Amritsari fish fried in a hurry......
I made a ton of other stuff too,
a tiring day through and through,
now all I want is to soak in a bath,
then close my eyes for the next few hours.....

Ingredients :

750 gm uncooked Prawns
2 tablespoons Oil
2 Onions - finely chopped
1 big tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste
1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
1 teaspoon Cinnamon powder
1/2 teaspoon Cardamom powder
1 teaspoon ground black Pepper
1 tablespoon Cumin powder
3 tablespoons dessicated Coconut
2 cups Green Paste
2 teaspoon Garam Masala
1 teaspoon sea salt or more if required
Lemon Juice

Green Paste :

Fresh Coriander, Fresh Mint, Curry leaves
Ratio of 1 : 1/4 : 1/4
Process all together to make a thick paste,
adding a little water as needed.

Prawns Hariyali :

Heat the oil in a deep pan,
saute the chopped onions till they change color
and become light brown.
Add the ginger garlic paste and fry on gentle heat.
Add all the dry spice powders, salt and a drizzle of water just
to keep it very lightly moist.
Saute it all together for a couple of mintues.
Add the dessicated coconut and fry for another 2 minutes.
Then add the Green paste and fry together till all
the ingredients are cooked, nothing remains raw.
Finally add the uncooked prawns and mix gently till
the prawns are coated with the Green masala.
Let it simmer till the prawns are cooked,
Be careful not to over cook the prawns or else
they get rubbery and lose their right texture and taste.
Add lemon juice to garnish before serving.

We ate this Jhinga Hariyali with mint and cumin Rotis,
and a cucumber Raita (Yogurt - goats milk)

Notes :

I've realized it is quite an art to photograph Indian food.
And I have a long long way to go!
I am not happy with the pictures I took today,
sometimes whatever you do, it just doesn't flow right,
so just one picture will do.....

I'm off to sleep, hope you enjoy this dish, it really was
very delicious and yummie :-)

Right now I can't think of anything else I want to say,
nothing comes to mind, sorry, it has been a long day......

Keep it Simple. Be Creative.
Taste and Play. Find your Own Way.




3 comments:

Pam said...

Honestly, you have done the best job of photographing this dish. You are amazing. I am making this dish tomorrow night. I will be looking for curry leaves tomorrow. Hopefully Natasha has some :)
Pam

Neeta said...

Pam, did you make this dish? You can also leave the curry leaves out if you can;t find them.....though I'm sure Natasha would have some, yes :-)
I love love love Indian food, but for taking pictures its my least favorite - I find it very challenging, I guess I have to think out of the box here?
xxx

Pam said...

Neeta, I am making this as we speak.....off to the Indian store for curry leaves and Garam Masala. Enough borrowing! I'll split the curry leaves with Natu!
Let you know!
Pam

South Indian Thali Feast

  TOTNES THALI CLUB PRESENTS A SOUTH INDIAN THALI FEAST MENU Minty Lychee Sparkler STARTERS : VADAI (spi...