Sunday 10 January 2010

Quinoa - Blueberry Bars



After two savory quinoa dishes,
it was time for something sweet,
something melting, something fresh,
Blueberry Bars sounded neat......
I wanted something rich and dark,
goats butter in preference,
then I found the best sugar ever,
and that made all the difference......
We had a bar when it was still warm,
just to try it we said,
but once we began we couldn't stop,
I even ate one in bed :-)




Quinoa Blueberry Bars:

75 gms Butter (I used goats butter)
1 cup dark unrefined Muscovado Sugar (you can use brown sugar)
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
3 cups cooked Quinoa
1 cup ground Almonds (almonds meal / almond flour)
1 cup Blueberries
1/2 cup finely chopped Walnuts

Preheat the oven to 180C.
Line a Brownie pan with greaseproof baking paper.

Cream the butter and sugar, then add the egg and whisk together.
Add the vanilla, cinnamon, sea salt and mix well till smooth.
Fold in the ground almonds and combine.
Add in the cooked Quinoa and fold in the blueberries and walnuts.
Gently mix it all together.

Pour this thick mixture into the greased brownie pan,
and bake for 30 minutes till the top is brown and the sides
begin to crisp a little.
Let it cool and cut into Bars.




Notes:

Muscovado sugar is a very dark brown,
slightly coarser and stickier than other brown sugars.
It is moist in texture and has a strong molasses flavor.
It is unrefined and thus nutritionally richer
than not only refined sugar of course,
but also all other brown sugars.
It retains most of the natural minerals inherent
in sugarcane juice as shown below :
  • Total mineral salts 740 mg max.
  • Phosphorus (P) 3.9 mg max.
  • Calcium (Ca) 85 mg max.
  • Magnesium (Mg) 23 mg max.
  • Potassium (K) 100 mg max.
  • Iron (Fe) 1.3 mg max 
Quinoa Info:

Quinoa is not a true cereal or grain, but a seed.
It is gluten free, alkaline in nature and easy to digest.
Unlike wheat or rice, which are low in lysine,
quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids,
making it an unusually complete protein source (12% to 18%)
It is a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorous
and is high in magnesium and iron. 
Quinoa has a light, fluffy texture when cooked,
and a mild nutty flavor suitable for sweet and savory dishes.
I use Quinoa seeds, flakes, pops and flour
and my recipes will showcase them in all these forms.

Keep it Simple. Be Creative.
Taste and Play. Find your Own Way.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never heard of muscovado! Thank's for the great info & my mouth keeps watering each time I stop by..You are a culinary artist.
XoXo

Neeta said...

Thanks Hanane, coming from you, it means a lot to me :-)
And I use sugar almost never, but this Muscovado is really great, not too often though ;-), I prefer, honey/agave/dates/stevia in any case!!
Love always xox

Pam said...

On a Quinoa roll I see. These look delicious. Perfect for a cup of tea. Of course your pics are beautiful. Lovely Post Neeta :-)

Neeta said...

Thanks a lot Pam.....
We finished them too quickly, now I want some more!! lol
A couple of posts more on Quinoa then it will be a series on Tofu :-)
And a post in between on photography....
xxx

Anderburf said...

These look really good and I bet my kids would love them! I just got some Himalayan sea salt from Sustainable Sourcing https://secure.sustainablesourcing.com and I think I'll try it out in this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Neeta said...

Thanks and you're welcome :-)
I use Himalayan sea salt too, it is the best. Hope you and your kids enjoy these bars, I'm going to make them again soon :-)

Srivalli said...

Neeta, first time visiting here, lovely space..nice series on Quinoa

Neeta said...

welcome Srivalli and thank you :-)

South Indian Thali Feast

  TOTNES THALI CLUB PRESENTS A SOUTH INDIAN THALI FEAST MENU Minty Lychee Sparkler STARTERS : VADAI (spi...