Saturday 31 July 2010

CLEAN - Baked Falafel Green Wraps



 


I am doing the Clean Detox from the book Clean 
by Dr Alejandro Junger. Reading this book and following the cleanse
is transforming my life in many more ways than I imagined.
I have dome many Juice feasts and other cleanses before, but this
is the first time I am feeling stable and not riding bumper waves
up and down with my feelings and energy.
In fact, my energy is slowly but steadily increasing and I am healing
from the inside out. My skin is glowing, my eyes are bright and clear,
I feel free of brain fog and I am deeply satisfied with the way I am
eating and nourishing myself.
It just makes so much sense and feels utterly right :-)
And the Clean community is the best ever, totally supportive and
very helpful.

I am making Clean foods these days, following the principles and
adhering to the foods on Dr Jungers list on the Cleanse.

So here I am, sharing my favorite food in my favorite place
with all of you.....


BAKED FALAFEL GREEN WRAP


Falafel is usually made with chickpeas and/or fave beans and fried
into round balls or patties. They are served with pita bread or any
flat breads and hummus or tahini based sauces.

I make my own version of falafel - with green lentils instead and
adding other nutrient dense ingredients. I don't know if we can even
call this a falafel or it is simply a burger or patties, whatever the name,
I hope you'll make them and enjoy them :-)





Ingredients:

2 cups cooked Green Lentils
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup chickpea flour/gram flour
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 cloves of garlic
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp cumin powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
1/4 tsp cardamon powder
1 cup fresh cilantro
1/2 cup fresh mint
1 tsp sea salt or more to taste

1/4 cup flax seeds
2 tbs sesame seeds


 

Process all in above ingredients apart from flax and sesame seeds
in a food processor till well combined and coarsely smooth.
Add the flax and sesame seeds and pulse a couple of times.

Spray Olive oil on a baking tray and drop dollops of the falafel
mixture then flatten a little. Spray the top surface of the falafels
with some olive oil too.
Bake in a preheated oven at 350F / 180C for 12 to 15 minutes,
then turn them over and bake for another 12 to 15 minutes.
These falafels are slightly crispy on the outside and soft inside.

I used Romaine lettuce as a wrap and served the falafels with avocado,
sprouts, fresh mint and a yummy sauce made with:

1 tbs almond butter
1 tsp tahini
juice of half lemon
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp agave
sea salt + black pepper
water

Blend it all together, taste, adjust, add more or not, be done - Enjoy :-)



Keep it Simple. Be Creative.
Taste and Play. Find your own Way.


20 comments:

Satya said...

hi neeta,

first time to ur blog ... u have a beautiful space here .. with a wonderful collection of healthy recipes ... with superb clicks..

you falafel looks yummy and crispy...very healthy option to avoid deep fry ... cool idea ... and the sauce also looks yummy ... and drool-worthy ... bookmarked

If u get time do visit my blog

Satya
http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

kelli said...

mmm, i would love to try this recipe, neeta. thank you for sharing!

xoxox

Indian Khana said...

Great one Neeta..nice twist to the usual one...looks fab

ॐRachel said...

I'm in food heaven here. I love felafel and these look so good I am going to have to shop for the extra bits today! Thanks Neeta x

Alisa said...

What a wonderful variation for falafel.If you won't mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to this post.Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post and it's all set, Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I am sooo making these in Ramadan! Absolutly gorgeous! Make me wanna bite the screen with that sauce Oh!

Neeta said...

Hi Satya, nice to know you and many thanks for your comment. Baked is definitely healthier than fried ;-)

Thanks Kelli, hope you make and enjoy this....I'll be heading to your lovely blog soon :-) xox

Thanks a lot Priti, so kind of you....have a wonderful weekend :-)

Hi Rachel :-) Love the Om symbol with your name!!! Thanks and truly falafel = food heaven for me too....

Alisa, thanks, I'll check out foodista soon - just keeping away from food blogs while I'm doing my cleanse :-)

Hanane sweetheart :-)) Merci beaucoup mon coeur, you make my day as always....bisesssss

aipi said...

Hey neeta, chanced upon your blog while surfing the web..and what a coincidence i 2 posted a baked falafel recipe just yesterday..liked your addition of green lentils and flax seeds..also loved the sauce..i think i will try the sauce next time i make it ..

take care n have a great weekend :)
aipi (http://usmasala.blogspot.com/)

Vee said...

what an amazing twist to the chickpeas deep fried falafel, the pitas and the tahini sauce..Have to try this version..looks so scrumptiously healthy..
Btw..I have been having the green juice as per your recipe ever since we spoke..
xoxo

Neeta said...

thanks aipi, glad you liked my recipe, i'll definitely check yours and your blog too, have a lovely weekend :-)

Vee!!!! thank you so much darling, it's true - it is healthy and quite tasty too ;-)
Very happy you are enjoying Green Juice, now you can start making ice cream with frozen fruits in your Vitamix too :-) Love you girl, will call you soon xoxox

TheFitnessFreak said...

These look absolutely fabulous Neeta!! I am thinking of adding a few vegan, cooked meals into the day and this one looks like a good one to start with! Thanks : )

Nicole

Neeta said...

Thanks a lot Nicole, hope you enjoy these falafel....interesting to know you are adding vegan cooked food - curious about what triggered the change for you....xox

Jamie said...

Hi Neeta! I posted a pic on my clean program of my lunch yesterday--thanks to you! YUM

Neeta said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the falafels Jamie, I'll check it out for sure :-)
xoxox
Leaving for India the day after for a few weeks of Yoga and Ayurveda, so been a bit offline recently, busy preparing for the trip :-)

Anonymous said...

I just made this and it's one of the best things I've ever tasted.

THANK YOU!

Neeta said...

You're welcome, so glad you enjoyed them :-)

Monique said...

Just tried these this morning and LOVED them! Thank you!!!! The socca bread will be next.

Neeta said...

Hi Monique, so glad you loved them, they are my all time favorite food too :-) Hope you enjoy the Socca, eat it warm just out of the oven....

Sabrina Hudon said...

I finally made these! I've been wanting to for a long time. They were a hit! My boyfriend also loved them so we will be making them again for sure. I also made your cookies and they were a big hit!!! Thank you so much!
Sabrina xoxox

Neeta said...

Thanks a lot Sabrina, so so glad you made and enjoyed these falafels and the cookies too!!! :-) I haven't been active here for a while, moved from London to India so have been quite busy - settled in now and will be blogging soon again :-) xoxox

South Indian Thali Feast

  TOTNES THALI CLUB PRESENTS A SOUTH INDIAN THALI FEAST MENU Minty Lychee Sparkler STARTERS : VADAI (spi...